Uniform spotlights Lynx history with “Change Starts With Us”
MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – The Minnesota Lynx today unveiled the 2023 WNBA Nike Rebel Edition uniform.
As part of a multi-year design arc, five teams debuted their new WNBA Nike Rebel Edition uniforms this season: Minnesota Lynx, Dallas Wings, Indiana Fever, New York Liberty and Washington Mystics. Launched in 2021, the WNBA Nike Rebel Edition uniforms were designed to honor the important moments, muses and movements in our history and the impact they’ve made on the game. The collection deepens the connection between the teams, their fans and their communities.
This year’s Lynx Rebel Edition uniform embodies basketball greatness in Minnesota and the unbreakable core at the foundation of the Lynx championship team. Celebrating the team’s achievements both on and off the court, the uniform’s black base symbolizes the shirts worn by the team in 2016, as they protested racial injustice. The words on those shirts “Change Starts With Us” can be found on the belt of the short. The on-court achievements of those legendary Lynx squads from the 2010s are celebrated throughout the uniform as well, with a four-line border representing the four championships and the franchise legends who are forever associated with greatness.
“As the Minnesota Lynx celebrate their historic 25th season, the Rebel uniform represents a founding pillar of this franchise – using sport as a vehicle of change,” said Lynx President of Business Operations Carley Knox. “This year’s Rebel uniform spotlights one of our most pivotal moments in Lynx history, when in July 2016 we became the first professional sports franchise to publicly advocate for the protection of Black lives. ‘Change Starts With Us’ is a call to action to create a more just and equitable society, where all feel safe, respected and heard.”
Rebel Edition uniform details include:
- The Minnesota Lynx have always stood in solidarity with all marginalized communities and their activism.
- The uniform’s black base symbolizes the shirts worn by the team in July 2016, as they protested racial injustice.
- “Change Starts with Us” sits on the belt buckle at the center of it all and repeats down the side tape – amplifying the team’s desire to use its platform in game-changing ways and be leaders on and off the court, by advancing equality and inspiring future generations.
- The on-court achievements of the legendary Lynx squads from the 2010s are celebrated throughout the uniform as well, with a four-line border representing the four championships and the franchise legends who are forever associated with greatness.
- The four embossed lines running up the sides of the uniform represent the athletes who’ve shaped the team over the years, as well as the organization’s four championships. The championship years are also called out and celebrated along the back of the neckline.
The Lynx first on-court wear of the Rebel uniform will be Thursday, June 1 when the team hosts the Connecticut Sun (tip-off 7:00 p.m. CT) at Target Center. The team is scheduled to wear the Rebel uniform 11 times throughout the season including: June 1 vs. Connecticut, June 16 at Los Angeles, June 22 vs. Connecticut, July 9 vs. Las Vegas, July 20 vs. Los Angeles, July 30 at Connecticut, Aug. 8 at Chicago, Aug. 18 at Seattle, Aug. 22 vs. Dallas, Aug. 29 at Washington, and Sept. 3 vs. Phoenix.
For the ninth consecutive year, Mayo Clinic, a global leader in serious and complex health care, is the presenting sponsor of the Minnesota Lynx season and holds the marquee position on the players’ jerseys. As the Official Medical Provider for the Lynx, Mayo Clinic provides access to the Mayo Clinic Orthopedics and Sports Medicine facility.
The Minnesota Lynx Nike Rebel jersey featuring the limited-edition 25th anniversary patch is now available for purchase at www.lynxteamstore.com, and will soon be available at the Lynx Team Store in Target Center. Rebel jerseys featuring the Lynx 25th anniversary patch are exclusive to the official Lynx Team Store.